Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 10:55:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        erich@uruk.org
Cc:        smp@csn.net, terry@lambert.org, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, rv@groa.uct.ac.za
Subject:   Re: SMP on Intel MG15

> > >I think you can HALT everything, and do it one at a time with different
> > >"VV" values for the 000VV000h real mode start address as part of the
> > >STARTUP IPI with various VV's as vector.
> > >
> > >This would mean chopping the heck out of the first meg of memory, but
> > >it *is* possible to do (assuming the damn thing listens to the STARTUP
> > >IPI like it is supposed to for version 1.x or higher local APIC's).
>
> Huh?  Since in general you have to use the warm reset vector, you can
> only start ONE of the other CPUs at a time.  Why go around having separate
> bootstrap areas for each one?  (you only need a separate stack for each
> one, and that's pretty easy)

I mean you hack up the code in the first meg to be processor specific
to set the values, not that you have one memory area per processor
(other than the stack and page tables, anyway).

> I'm getting confused here.  Is this trying to state that for every
> context switch (or at least for some of them) you're re-running the
> startup sequence?

Rerunning the thing once for each AP to get the settings you wanted
but said you couldn't have... you can have them, it's just a pain.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.