Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 1995 05:39:46 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   release coming soon

Dear ports team,

As you may have heard, the release of 2.1 is going out soon.  We had
thud reinstalled from scratch with the 9/28 snap, and I will start
building the packages tomorrow (that is 10/3 or 3/10 for you
non-Americans).

We will not have a "code freeze" this time, but please consider
yourself highly restrained when it comes to committing code to the
ports area.  I will be copying packages over to the ftp site for
testing as they are built, and once it's up there, I would not want to
see the original port touched except for bug fixes.  It is especially
true for ports that are depended upon by many other ports -- things
like an upgrade of jpeg from ver. 5 to ver. 6 are not welcome at this
point.

If you have a new port that you want to put into 2.1, please contact
me asap.  But please read section 4.3 of the handbook first, that will
save me a great deal of time.

I'll be sending build failure reports to this list, so please watch
this space closely.  Also, it will be great if you can get the snap
installed to test the packages.

Thanks for your help, and let's get this the best ports release ever!

Satoshi

P.S. The list of ports still using EXEC_DEPENDS....

>> grep EXEC_DEPENDS */*/Makefile
audio/rsynth/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=     auvoxware:${PORTSDIR}/audio/nas
cad/pcb/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=  gm4:${PORTSDIR}/devel/m4
comms/hylafax/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS+=   gs:${PORTSDIR}/print/ghostscript
comms/hylafax/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS+=   bash:${PORTSDIR}/shells/bash
databases/exodus/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=   dmake:${PORTSDIR}/devel/dmake
devel/noweb/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=      icont:${PORTSDIR}/lang/icon
editors/tkHTML/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=   wwwish:${PORTSDIR}/net/wwwish
editors/uemacs/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=   unzip:${PORTSDIR}/archivers/unzip
graphics/aero/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=    povray:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/povray
math/octave/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=      gnuplot:${PORTSDIR}/math/gnuplot
net/scotty/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=       wishx:${PORTSDIR}/lang/tclX
net/tkWWW/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=        xli:${PORTSDIR}/graphics/xli
net/xarchie/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=      archie:${PORTSDIR}/net/archie
net/zircon/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=       dpwish:${PORTSDIR}/net/tclDP
print/ghostview/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=  gs:${PORTSDIR}/print/ghostscript
print/xtexshell/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=   wishx:${PORTSDIR}/lang/tclX
utils/tkinfo/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=     wish:${PORTSDIR}/x11/tk
utils/tkman/Makefile:EXEC_DEPENDS=      wish4.0:${PORTSDIR}/x11/tk4 \