Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:16:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "A. Rich" <arr@oceanwave.com>
To:        Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>
Cc:        "A. Rich" <arr@oceanwave.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mountd -n is not allowing non-root mounts

keith> I don't think you're supposed to be able to mount drives unless you're
keith> root.  If you really need to, I guess you could write a suid wrapper
keith> for it.

That's what the -n flag is for......mountd(8):

     -n      The -n option allows non-root mount requests to be served.  This
             should only be specified if there are clients such as PC's, that
             require it.  It will automatically clear the vfs.nfs.nfs_privport
             sysctl flag, which controls if the kernel will accept nfs re-
             quests form reserved ports only.

This specific case is a cluster of NCDs that need to mount their config
directories.  It works under other operating systems (BSD and SysV), just not
this version of FreeBSD that I've tried.

Based on the man page, I would say this is a bug.

--
Amy Rich <arr@oceanwave.com>                    Oceanwave Consulting, Inc.
UNIX Systems Administration Consultant          12 Hines Way