Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 2002 17:59:57 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proper way to upgrade packaes from ports

At 03:39 PM 10/7/02 -0700, you wrote:
>> From: "Andrew Knapp" <knappster@knappster.net>
>> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:18:22 -0400
>>
>> AFAIK, doesn't portupgrade come with another utility called portversion?
>> I use portversion -r (for recursive) to figure out what packages I do
>> need to upgrade. It gives a nice read-out of what to upgrade.
>
>Yes, portversion is a part of portupgrade. It should do almost
>anything pkg_version does except -c.

Excuse me? I've been using portversion -c since I installed the damned
thing and it does for portupdate exactly what pkg_version -c did for
pre-portupdate updating. I would regard it as a boon if the script didn't
sometimes do things (at least when run remotely) that cause my machine to
reboot spontaneously (fatal trap 12).

> I use "portversion -vL=" to check
>on what needs updating. But I then usually do "portupgrade -Rra" which
>will upgrade all ports that are out of date and do so in the correct
>bottom-up order.

<sigh> wish I had that much disk space. I can only afford to install a few
ports.

<snip>
>The biggest down-side is the requirement that I run portsdb -Uu to
>update the databases after a cvsup of the ports tree. This is a pretty
>CPU intensive operation and can take a while on an older system.

Yeah, it takes around 16 hours on my system, and usually causes a
spontaneous reboot if I do it remotely (fatal trap 12). I haven't figured
out a way to find out what it's doing to cause the reboots, since there
seems to be no particular reason for fatal trap 12 (what I mean is the
error message "fatal trap 12" does not indicate one particular type of
failure; I usually get the further message "Page fault in kernel mode",
which also doesn't seem to identify any particular type of problem).

>R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
>Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
>Ernest O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab)
>E-mail: oberman@es.net			Phone: +1 510 486-8634

Roger