Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:34:30 +1100
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@aims.com.au>
To:        <sos@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ata and Asus P2B-S

Howdy,

Somewhere between 4.3 and 4.4, ata appears to have become completely FUBAR
on my Asus P2B-S system. I've got an Asus CD-S400 hanging off the secondary
controller as the primary device. CD1 on 4.3 boots successfully, but CD1 on
4.4 hangs immediately after detecting plip0. On the 4.3 boot, the line
straight after plip0 is acd0. Disabling both IDE channels in the BIOS
doesn't help, nor does removing the CDROM drive, nor does removing ata0 and
ata1 from the userconfig screen. I'm looking at building custom boot
floppies just to get rid of the ata subsystem in the hope that this will fix
it.
The P2B-S connects to a RAID tower using the onboard SCSI, so the CDROM
isn't really necessary, but I still can't boot the sucker with or without
it.
When I disable the IDE channels using the BIOS and boot from the 4.4 boot
floppies, the probe hangs after the following line:

atapci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller> port 0xd800-0xd80f at device 4.1 on
pci0

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get 4.4-stable running on 8
of these things ASAP.

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
AIMS Independent Computer Professionals
Tel: +61 3 6334 6664  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.aims.com.au