Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:01:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        Brandon Hicks <trixster@lcii.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem With sshd When updating to -STABLE

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Brandon Hicks wrote:

> Ok, To start out with, let me give you history, I hope this notice of
> this error stops someone else from having the same problem
>
> commands i did
> ssh2 session:
> <snip>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel KERNEL={MYKERNEL}
> make installkernel KERNEL={MYKERNEL}
> make installworld
> reboot
> Disconnected.

You should reboot after 'make installkernel' to ensure that your new
kernel is good.

> ssh -l loginname shell
> I typed in my password, got disconnected
>
> Problem Found:
> the cvsup updated the /usr/src/etc/pam.conf
> installworld didn't update it!

That's why your run 'mergemaster' after a 'make installworld' to update
configuration files, and *then* reboot.

> This caused a production machine to be down for almost 12 hours

Usually one doesn't update production machines remotely, unless you're
willing to hop in the car and make the drive to the colo to fix things up
at the console :)

--
Matt Emmerton