Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 20:36:13 -0400
From:      Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
To:        FreeBSD hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   new kernel build, bad MSF image

   I  have  only  recently  begun to use FreeBSD but I consider myself
competent  with  Linux  and  I have had FreeBSD installed on my PC for
over a week now and I decided to build a kernel for my machine and get
rid  of all the unnecessary drivers and whatnot (like everything SCSI,
the Qcam stuff, PS/2 mouse stuff, etc) and I finally got the kernel to
build  after having to fight with it over the definition of the floppy
drive.
   Here's the problem: Whenever I attempt to boot my FreeBSD partition
(I'm  dual-booting FreeBSD & 98) it goes through all the normal bootup
messages  until it mounts the root partition ("changing root device to
wd0s1a")  and  it  immediately  complains  about  "panic: MFS image is
invalid!!"  and  forces  me  to  reboot. This happens if I use kernel,
kernel.old or kernel.GENERIC. What can I do to fix it?

TIA,
Ben Williams