Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 03:10:53 +0100
From:      Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se>(by way of Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se>)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or OpenBSD

My 2cw:
We are OpenBSD users since two years, FreeBSD ijust started. My very personal
and humble  opinion is;
OpenBSD is extremly easy to set up and maintain for a firewall, a dns server
or similar. Its security is second to none, its well audited and works as
expected. Highly recommended.
FreeBSD is a different creature. Its like having a complete workshop with all
the tools and materials needed to build a, let's say, a Ferrari. But you need
to build it. But then if you have the patience and percistance, it'd No. 1.
Period.

You really have to ask yourself; what  do I need? Security or performance
etc. With FreeBSD you _can_ get both - but it will require an effort. Your
effort.  With OpenBSD, security is out of the box.With FreeBSD you have to
take it there yourself. If performance is the main concern, you are in the
right place.
What I can say is, I never saw a place with so many knowledgeable people
coming together over one subject - FreeBSD. You should be comfortable here.

Per olof