Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2012 21:57:44 -0400
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng suggestion: renaming /usr/sbin/pkg to /usr/sbin/pkg-bootstrap

On 23 August 2012 18:19, Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems to me that renaming the pkg binary in /usr/sbin/pkg to /usr/sbin=
/pkg-bootstrap would make sense. From a user standpoint, it is confusing th=
at running the command gets different results the second time it is run vs.=
 the first time. I can imagine a user saying "I ran pkg, but it didn't do w=
hat they said it would.  Now I run it again, and it does do what it is supp=
osed to." Also, it would enable setting up a pkg-bootstrap man page separat=
e from the pkg man page, without confusion about which one you're looking a=
t.

> So, opinions? There may still be time to fix it for 9.1 if we can decide =
quickly.

no opinion on the name, but imho there should be *something* called
"pkg" on a fresh system. Users will install a new system, follow some
random how-to, and not realize they missed a step. If the default
package errors with exit code 1 and says "run pkgbootstrap first" that
is okay too.

--=20
Eitan Adler