Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 13:00:48 -0400
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        Wyatt Nordstrom <wyattn@nortel.ca>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where is the shadow password file?

On Tue, Jun 02, 1998 at 11:40:00AM -0400, Wyatt Nordstrom wrote:

> Sorry for asking such a simple question. Where does the shadow
> password file exist. I tried a quick search with find.
>
> find / -name "*shadow*" -print
>
> It did not turn up the file.

"man 5 passwd" reveals:

# FreeBSD uses a shadow password scheme: users' encrypted passwords are
# stored only in /etc/master.passwd and /etc/spwd.db, which are readable
# and writable only by the superuser.

> Most docs say the file should be /etc/shadow. I do not seem to have this file.
Hopefully you are referring to Unix references in general.  If any
of the FreeBSD documentation makes this error, please notify
freebsd-doc@freebsd.org!

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Stay close to the Vorlon.
http://mph124.rh.psu.edu/~mph/pgp.key for PGP public key 0x67203349.