Date:      Sat, 9 Apr 2005 17:46:13 -0400
From:      Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome Upgrade on FreeBSD 5.3

On (04/03/05 15:44), Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> To: "Bob Perry" <rperry4@earthlink.net>
> Cc: freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Gnome Upgrade on FreeBSD 5.3
> From: "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
> Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:44:19 -0500
>
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:41:49 -0400, Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >I've just loaded FreeBSD 5.3 onto a multiple OS box and
> >intend to load the GNOME desktop once I decided what
> >components I need (assuming that is possible).
> >
> >I CVSup'd my system and found that over 75% of the
> >packages I installed needed upgrade including;
> >gnome-icon-theme-1.2.3, gnomehier-1.0_19,
> >gnomekeyring-02.1_1, gnomemimedata-2.4.1_2, and
> >gnomevfs2-2.6.2_1.  Can I use portupgrade to upgrade
> >these ports or is a special script necessary as was
> >required with the recent GNOME desktop upgrades?
>
> You must read in the /usr/ports/UPDATING and use the special script (check
> in UPDATING).

Just finished the update and wanted to thank you for your assistance
and thank everyone involved with the project.  The errors were
minimal and easily fixed with the help of the upgrade log.

For the record, I did review the /usr/port/UPDATING prior to posting
here for help and found nothing relating to the five (5) ports in
question.

It wasn't until I received your note and performed a second
search with "gnome" as the keyword, that I found the script necessary.
Was there a recommended procedure for finding out which ports required
use of the script that I overlooked?

Thanks again.
Bob Perry

--
I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly
distributed.

FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p2 #0