Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 02:11:22 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        root@jules.res.cmu.edu (Greg Schohn)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk problem at bootup...

Greg Schohn wrote:

> 2 things...  first - I tried re-writing my boot blocks of my scsi drive a
> couple of days ago & I now get a "Read Error" on bootup.  I tried both
> using disklabel on both my root slice (/dev/sd0s1e & the entire hd
> /dev/sd0a).  I used just -B as well as -B -b.. -s... & I still can't get
> the computer to boot off of the scsi drive...
>
> I did successfully install the new boot blocks on my ide drive, using the
> same sort of method...
>
> My root partition under freebsd is slice e, the hard drive has 1
> partition.
>
> anyway - I can still use the kernel & everything by specifying disk1 as
> the current device & booting off of it...  but I'd like the scsi to be
> able to boot up by itself...
>

> so - anybody know how I can fix boot sector on the HD...  It worked fine
> before I used disklabel on it :(...

The most likely problem is that the sector occupied by boot1 on the
scsi drive contains some garbage in the slice table.

If you want to send along the following output, I'll take a look.

        #!/bin/sh
        DRIVE=da0 # Change as required
        fdisk ${DRIVE}
	disklabel ${DRIVE}
        dd if=/dev/r${DRIVE} count=1 | hexdump -C
        dd if=/dev/r${DRIVE}a count=17 | hexdump -C
        dd if=/dev/r${DRIVE}e count=17 | hexdump -C

--
Robert Nordier