Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:20:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SDT-7000 and other DDS-2 tapes

>> I use most of my SCSI devices on a shared bus between two FreeBSD boxes.
>
> Hairy... One machine booting most likely result in a bus reset, with the
> tape loosing position. You could get lucky and find an adapter that allows
> disabling bus resets.

I've always wondered if this is something the tape driver could recover
from.  I guess if the tape driver is recording partion, FM, and block
count as it writes and the target drive allows block level repositioning
that it could recover.  Do all tape drives lose their position on a
reset?  How many support the soft reset alternative?  I guess it's time
to do some experimentation.

--
Justin