Date:      Thu, 31 May 2012 16:45:56 -0400
From:      Chris Nehren <apeiron+freebsd-stable@isuckatdomains.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Solaris features in FreeBSD (was: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?)

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 17:20:04 +0200 , Oliver Fromme wrote:
> But there's one thing that hasn't been mentioned so far,
> I think:  jails.  The jails feature was the most important
> reason why one of our largest customers chose FreeBSD for
> its server farm instead of Linux.  I also use this feature
> quite a lot on my own boxes to easily confine services and
> applications into sandboxes, without having to use a full-
> blown virtualization system with all of its disadvantages.

I did mention "Solaris features" in my list reply, which sort of
includes jails in a circuitous way--there's a video somewhere on the
tubes where one of the Solaris devs describes zones as jails on steroids
or the like.

And speaking of Solaris features...

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 19:13:32 +0100 , Matthew Seaman wrote:
> This sort of operation is something that ZFS boot environment support
> (recently committed to HEAD, due for MFC within the month) makes much,
> much safer and easier to deal with.  You don't need to do a separate
> reboot to test the kernel as you've still got an entire kernel+world in
> the previous BE to fall back on.

This is *awesome*. /me removes yet another item from the "reasons to use
Solaris" list. I cannot wait to try this out.

--
Thanks and best regards,
Chris Nehren