Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 00:08:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Meyer <dan@shaft.uglies.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Design Question

	Hello everyone. Perhaps this is the incorrect forum for this type
of question; if it is please let me know where it belongs. I have been
given the task of sorting out our internet server at work. We have one
P150/32MB EDO/4GB IDE system handling our webserving, email, and DNS.
As usage and reliance on this service begins to grow it has become apparent
that we should seperate these tasks and delegate them to individual
machines. I have some rough ideas of what should be done but would
appreciate any input on which tasks should be seperated onto what type of
system. Here is a basic run down of what I have though up:

Webserver - dedicate the P150 to this task; upgrade to 64MB memory -
(continue to increase memory as required);
replace ide drives with PCI SCSI controller and drives; case currently
has redundant powersupply - I would like to make the scsi system
redundent and hot swappable, should I look to ccd or RAID for a solution?

DNS - setup 486DX2/66,16MB Ram, IDE drive - no user access to this
machine; use it as a spot to temporarily stash mail if the mail server is
down

Mail - P120, 32MB,SCSI - again redundent drives to maintain reliability

     Are these specs sufficient? Any handware recomendations? I would
     like to hear any suggestions or comments!

	Thank You.
		Dan Meyer