Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 12:31:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Dyson <dyson@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        michaelh@cet.co.jp, terry@lambert.org, eric@ms.uky.edu, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vclean (was The VIVA file system)

> The file type is a non-zero value in the high bits of the mode word;
> it means that the inode does not refer to real data any more.
>
> The vgone call is just part of the subsystem I think should be replaced
> wholesale; I'd like to see a per FS vrele() (back to locally managed
> pools) replace most of those calls.  The vgone() calls vgone1() calls
> vclean, and we're back in my hate-zone.

I tend to agree with you that it makes more sense to have VOP_VGET and
friends be on a per-filesystem basis (well, you know what I mean -- we
should consider creating VOP_VGET/VOP_VREF/VOP_VRELE/VOP_VPUT.)  I think
that it would certainly clean up the layering abstraction that we have.
In fact, I had created ssuch a few years ago -- but like usual, VM
issues take up all of my time.

Right now, I am finding more problems with LFS than I had thought.  Not
to worry, should still have a soln this weekend.

John