Date:      Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:14:45 +0200
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   building something from CVS with GNU autotools

I pulled all my hair and lost my sanity.
I searched mailing lists ang google, found a lot of people with my
same problem but never a definitive solution.

Problem is when trying to build on fbsd no matter which program out of
CVS (ie: not a release) which uses GNU autotools.

After patching ./autogen.sh to use the versioned autotools, I get the
standard error (standard because google is full of it):

./ltconfig: ./ltconfig: No such file or directory
configure: error: libtool configure failed

I tried also building a directory full of symlinks and putting
it at the beginning of my PATH, to be sure to catch any invocation
of the autotools stuff:

molter@gattaccio[~]$ ls autodamage
aclocal@ -> /usr/local/bin/aclocal15
autoconf@ -> /usr/local/bin/autoconf259
autoheader@ -> /usr/local/bin/autoheader259

and so on, but I still hit the wall.

In my case I am trying to compile the CVS version of silky
(http://silky.sourceforge.net/), but as I said silky is a program
like another.

I also saw there is a /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.autotools.mk makefile with
some comments in it, but it is not clear to me how to reuse
that stuff outside of a port.

Is there a way to solve my problems, without requiring any fbsd
user to become a master of the weird and (censured comments) autotools ?

thanks
marco