Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 10:15:49 -0700
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /etc/hosts.equiv, ~root/.rhosts

Our whole network, bogs.org, is behind a university-administered
router that doesn't allow any access to us from the outside at all.
All of the users of the network are our employees or students--in
other words, we are all just one happy family.

I want to provide unlimited rsh-style access among the machines in
the lab, and to do this, I would like to use an entry similar to

  *.bogs.org

in /etc/hosts.equiv and in all of the ~/.rhosts files, including
that of the root (for purpose of rdisting, etc.).  I prefer this,
because then I wouldn't have to keep fiddling with these files when
a machine leaves or enters the network or changes its name.

The same thing goes for /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.lpd.

However, I can't figure out how to make the various utilities
recognize wildcards in those files.  Is there any way to do this?

There are two kludges I have thought of to work my way around it
without wildcards:  first, I have a Class C network, so I could just
put all possible network addresses in the files and no names--the
files would be large, but would only need to be changed if the
underlying network model changes (this wouldn't fly at all if I
went to a Class B model, though).

The other approach would be to generate a list of names automatically
on boot-up and at night by querying the DNS server with a perl
script, but then I'd have to write the perl script.

Any other suggestions?

-Greg