Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:45:59 -0400
From:      Bob Webb <bob.webb@snyder.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Network Interface

Hello. Well I tried to install Free BSD on a Compaq P75 with an
integrated Ethernet NIC (PCI bus). In the initialization window, the
NIC is found and labeled lnc1 on int 11. So far so good. I then work my
way through the prompts, and get to the place to install using FTP. At
this point I type in the IP address, gateway, etc into the network
config, and the debug window says that the initialization failed
(FYI...the spelling of initialization is wrong in the debug window! It
spelled initialisation). Using VTY4, I type ifconfig -a and the command
reports that the interface is UP. But I am unable to ping it from a
different PC, so I have to conclude that the interface is not up.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Webb