Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 1995 01:20:37 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPX now available

On Oct 13, 18:16, Matt Thomas wrote:

} For PCI, I'm beginning in favor of having the driver call a pci_match
} routine to find instances of itself instead of the currently "passive"
} method.  The passive method just doesn't lend itself to LKM.  One other

Hmm, I don't quite understand the advantage of the driver doing a "match"
in the context of LKMs ...

PCI device LKMs ought to be named according to their vendor and device IDs.
E.g. the NCR driver might be looked up under "/lkm/pci_v1000d0001.o" which
is a link to /lkm/ncr_scsi.o" or the DEC 21040 under "/lkm/pci_v1011d0002.o"
which might be a link to "/lkm/if_de.o" ...

} reason I favor it is so that I could have a "generic" DC21x4X module
} and then have various board/chip specific LKMs.  The de driver is getting
} fairly large and I'd like a method to trim out the unneeded code.

PCI 2.1 extends the vendor and device ID concept. It is now possible to
have a board vendor/device ID independent from the chip's ID.

This opens a generic way to load a board specific driver, instead of only
a chip specific one ...

STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160