Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 18:13:20 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: on every reboot my DeskJet 970 prints a "0" and ejects paper

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 03:49:12PM +0100, Andreas Klemm stood up and spoke:
> My HP DeskJet 970Cxi is connected via parallel centronix cable to
> my FreeBSD machine. Has this to do with driver initialization ?
>
> I have this problem since a long time I assume. Mostly printer is
> powered-off. But today I wanted to report it in the hope somebody
> has a solution/idea/fix.

Well, I'm not a big expert about the driver initialization code, but I once
had a similar problem (ejected blank page on every boot). I fixed this by
playing around with the BIOS settings for my parallel port. I simply tried
around until it would stop ejecting the blank page.

What I also found very interesting is that when your parallel port gets
probed, you get a line saying "nibble mode unavailable". On my machine it
looks like this instead:

Dec  2 22:21:53 jodie /kernel: ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
Dec  2 22:21:53 jodie /kernel: ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
Dec  2 22:21:53 jodie /kernel: ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/8 bytes threshold
Dec  2 22:21:53 jodie /kernel: ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
Dec  2 22:21:53 jodie /kernel: Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
Dec  2 22:21:53 jodie /kernel: ppbus0: <HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 930C> MLC,PCL,PML
Dec  2 22:21:53 jodie /kernel: lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
Dec  2 22:21:53 jodie /kernel: lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

According to the above output, my parallel port runs in COMPATIBLE mode,
while yours is running in ECP-only mode. I guess this ECP / EPP / NORMAL
mode stuff can be set up in the BIOS, and I would have a look if chaning
the currently set up values have any influence on your problem.

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany