Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:14:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de (Oliver Fromme)
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: guspnp9: /dev/dsp close() hangs

Maybe this information could be useful in some way...

Randall Hopper wrote:
 > [...]
 >      > mpg123 things.mp2
 >
 >      ----->  APP STARTUP PRINTS:
 >      start sb_reset_dsp
 >      done RESET 1
 >      done tenmicrosec
 >      done RESET 0
 >      isa_dmastart: channel 5 busy
 >
 >      ----->  THEN WHEN I CTRL-C, I ALWAYS SEE THIS:
 >      dmabuf 2
 >      dmabuf 1
 >
 >      ----->  IF THE /dev/dsp close() DIDN'T HANG, THAT'S IT.
 >
 >      ----->  BUT IF THE close() HUNG, I SEE THIS LINE AGAIN AND AGAIN, PRINTING
 >      ----->  ONCE EVERY 10 SECONDS:
 >      dmabuf 1

Using the soundrivers of 2.2.2 (Vox 2.9, I think) with an
AWE32, I also experience hangs sometimes when /dev/dsp is
closed, BUT only for about 10 seconds.  It never blocks
forever (maybe it checks for a timeout).

To be honest, I first suspected a bug in mpg123, but I've
looked at the respective parts of the code for days, and
I haven't been able to spot a bug...

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  I just released mpg123 0.59k, see http://mpg.123.org/
Doesn't fix the block-on-close problem though, of course.

PPS:  In case you didn't notice, I'm not that much familiar
with all that sound driver stuff.  I assume it's not possible
to install those newer "guspnp" drivers in 2.2.2, is it?
Stability is an absolute requirement for me, so I don't want
to install 3.0-current.

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18-61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany