Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:17:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Paul M. Lambert" <plambert@pinky.magiclemurs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAO necessary for Tecra 8000?

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Paul M. Lambert wrote:

> Which FreeBSD?  3.2?  With or without PAO?
>
> What features do/don't you use?  Does it sleep correctly?  Are you
> able to drive both internal and external monitors with X?

I don't use any cardbus cards with it and the mixer support for the sound
hardware doesn't work correctly. Apart from that everything seems to work
fine. X works very nicely on the panel and I did try it on a monitor once
but wasn't able to make it use a decent refresh rate. The panel is clearer
anyway :-). Hot-swapping drives and hot-docking is not supported.

> How about floppy drive access?  (Mine only recognizes the external floppy
> if it's connected at boot).

I think this is a hardware limitation. I seem to remember in the
instructions that you should not connect the floppy when the machine is
switched on. When the floppy is plugged in (either in the external case or
in the hot-swap bay, it works very well.

> I think, if I don't hear from anyone otherwise, I will attempt to run
> a stock 3.3-STABLE kernel and userland on it, and see what happens.

I normally run bleeding-edge current on this beast but I think 3.3 will
work well too.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com