Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:14:46 -0400
From:      "Cribbins, Jason" <Jason.Cribbins@qwest.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Promise Ultra100 Drivers

>>> Yes.  Check http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.1.1R/notes.html:
>>>
>>>  The ata(4) driver now has support for ATA100 controllers.
>>
>> I am somewhat new to this.  I am running 4.1-Stable.  Can I just download
>> some file to add or patch my current system built?
>
>No, that's not the way we do things.  We prefer to keep things stable,
>so you need to update your -STABLE source tree.  Of course, if it's
>recent (later than 4.1.1-RELEASE), it already has the support.

By what method can I update my source tree.  I attempted to use CVS and
found I don't have the disk ace to do that (which is why I need IDE
support). I also downloaded new boot floppies from the 4.1.1-release folders
on ftp.freebsd.org and this failed to allow me to see the drive and caused
me to have an unbootable system.  I ended up with a system that I had to
manually load the kernel by typing the path and filename in at every boot
before it will start.  Eventually I found that renaming /kernel.GENERIC to
/kernel would solve this.

The system is in a state where nothing on it matters to me right now so
reinstall via ftp is not a problem...only time consuming on my 144k
connection.  I am becoming an expert on ftp installs while I sleep  :)

>> I am also told that the Ultra66 driver will work on the Ultra100
>> card.  How can I redirect the Ultra66 driver to be associated with
>> the Ultra 100 card when detected?
>
>You don't need to do anything.  Start it up and look at the dmesg
>output (saved in /var/run/dmesg.boot) to see what the driver found.

The /var/run/dmesg.boot shows no record of the care but I do see a line that
states there is an unknown device in PCI0 which I am guessing is talking
about this card being the only PCI card I am using right now.  The system is
not here where I am now so I don't have the exact line but I will get it the
next time I try to install.  It did give two hex codes which look like some
sort of hardware id's that the card may be sending to identify itself.  What
should I be looking for in the dmesg.boot file?  Nothing else in there seems
to apply to this.

Jason Cribbins