Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:00:24 -0500
From:      mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
To:        "H. Wade Minter" <minter@lunenburg.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [PROBLEM] Re: Upgrading from the source

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 09:48:20PM -0400, H. Wade Minter wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, mikea wrote:
>
> > I had absolutely no trouble going from 4.3-Release to 4.4 via
> > cvsup. I did it all at once, too, rebuilding a cracked system
> > from CD. Others' mileages may vary.
>
> I actually had a really weird problem on one of my three FreeBSD boxes
> that I cvsup'd and upgraded from RELENG_4_3 to RELENG_4_4.  On two of
> the machines (nearly identical hardware), it went fine.  On one, though,
> when I tried to boot into the 4.4 kernel, the networking on fxp0 went
> haywire.  According to the on-site guy (it's colocated), it can ping its
> IP address, as well as aliased IPs on the same box, it can ping localhost,
> but it can't ping the router or any other address.  Booting the machine
> into the 4.3 kernel (kernel.old), and it works fine.
>
> Anyone have any ideas what could be going on with this one machine?  We've
> replaced the motherboard and NIC to no avail.

What were the original and replacement mobo and NICs? If old and
new were the same model, and the problem is in the mobo, then I
could see it not moving with the mobo. Same with the NIC.

Are the other two boxes using the same mobos and NICs?

It sounds like a 4.4-specific interaction with hardware and/or
BIOS.

Can you afford the time (and colo staff time costs, if any) to
boot back into 4.4 and see if it's visible from the router, what
the arp cache looks like, what ifconfig shows, what dmesg shows,
and all the other diagnostic stuff? You have piqued my interest.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea@mikea.ath.cx