Date:      Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:40:44 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Igor Robul <igorr@speechpro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA support in 5.x ... ?

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Igor Robul wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>> I'm looking at upgrading my only SATA server to 5.x, since the 4.x that is
>> currently running on it is getting hangs whenever load is put onto the
>> drives :(
>
> IIRC you are using 3Ware hardware RAID with SATA drives, which is NOT same as
> using SATA drives.
> Your OS does not access SATA drives directly, and so SATA stabolity is not
> cause of your problems. There must be another cause. Check other hardware
> parts.

I took a look at the 'latest driver' available from 3ware for the 4.x
line, which is not what the 4.x line current has committed, and there were
a couple of items that *might* apply ... specifically, one deal with 256k
stripe size (which we're using) and one deaing with the Intel 7520 chipset
(which, again, I believe we aer using ... its an SE7520 motherboard) ...

>From what I can tell, the hangs are "file system", since when it does
hang, I can login via SSH and get the MOTD stuff, but nothing past that
(no shell prompt) ..

We're going to move that server to 5.x over the next couple of days and
see if that corrects the problem, since its the 'route of least
resistance' and then work from a "supported operating system" ...

----