Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 19:30:03 -0700
From:      Nicholas Esborn <nick@netdot.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPsec w/ gif tunnels question

Hola, all.

Is there any particular way to test whether a packet is successfully
processed by the ipsec subsystem?

I am writing a script to bring up gif tunnels between hosts communicating
through transport-mode ipsec.  I want to be able to see that traffic is
being encrypted before setting up the tunnel.

So far, I've come up with:

1) parsing SPD/SAD entries to see if any match
2) using tcpdump to watch for a packet my script sends, to verify that it
   is AH/ESP (ick)
3) using 'require' instead of 'use' in my SPD entries.  This doesn't seem
   to allow racoon to communicate between machines, which doesn't surprise
   me.  Is there some way racoon can get around this to establish keys?

Thanks for any insight you may have.

-nick