Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:53:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NCR0+IBM DORS-32160 WA0A 2 gigs HD - assertion "cp" failed

> Brian Wang writes:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > 	I have just put a new mail/dns server online, which has the
>  > following configuration:
>  >
>  > FreeBSD 2.1.5 Release
2.1.0R
>  > P75 CPU + ASUSTPN4 MB (Triton I with 256k pipeline cache)
p133 + 512K
>  > 32 megs non-edo RAM
edo
>  > 3COM 509 ethernet card
>  > Trident PCI video card
>  > ASUS SC200 SCSI card (ncr)
I use this board as the first controller and use a tyan 825 board as
a second controller with a
>  > IBM DORS-32160 2 gigs HD
single atlas xp34300wide drive on it.  That is where I am getting this same
error!

I get the same problem with the tyan 825 and an atlas xp34300wide 4.3g drive.

>  >
>  > 	I am getting some messages via dmesg complainting about assertion
>  > "cp" failed.  The server runs fine, and does seem to operate quiet normal
>  > except from these errors coming from "ncr.c" (error outputs included at
>  > the end of this email). Should I just start replacing the SCSI subsystem?
>
>  > sd0(ncr0:6:0): COMMAND FAILED (4 28) @f0b65a00.
>  > assertion "cp" failed: file "../../pci/ncr.c", line 5563

exact same message, big chunks of them, and most of the time the filesystem
on that disk gets io errors -- it is used for news mostly.  And then I have to
reboot to get the filesystem back.

> Oh well, the DORS shows that kind of problem ?

and the atlas

> How often do these messages occur ?
>
> Please try with Tagged Command Queueing disabled:
>
> # ncrcontrol -s tags=0

did that and other things, not sure, but looks like tags=0 helped.

> and let me know, whether that fixes the problem.
>

> I'll have a 53c875 + DORS drive soon, since I want
> to use these devices as the base for the reworking
> of the NCR driver (addition of Ultra-SCSI support).

I'm getting a tekram 875 and a seagate uw drive and will be building
up a new system.  I will use 2.1.5R and the driver from the tekram site
that supports the tekram 390F.  They have patch kits there too.  Are you
going to use any of their stuff?  Are you going for just generic support
of the 875?  Is there any differences with the various 875 implementations
that might allow for optimizations?

Just curious, I was hoping the problems I was having would be cured in
2.1.5R, but it looks like someone else is having the same problem there
too.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088