Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 09:05:15 -0400
From:      Yoshihiro Ota <st96yb9t@drexel.edu>
To:        asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/tcsh - Imported sources

At 4:55 AM -0700 4/16/00, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
>  * From: Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
>
>  * This, then is a shortcoming of the ports system; we need at least two
>
> It is not a shortcoming of the system; it is a policy decision.  We
> don't want people upgrading their systems and losing packages
> installed in /bin because they only backed up /etc and
> /usr/{local,X11R6}.  (It's assumed that people using ports have a
> little more clue than those who only use packages, that's why I don't
> see a problem with such a thing being a port.)
>
> If we are going to decide to allow ports/packages for things like the
> following, it is fine by me.
>
>  * 1) statically linked and installed in (say) /local/{bin|sbin} (which is
>  * in the root filesystem).
>  *
>  * 2) kernel modules.
>
> Satoshi

Hello all.

I just jumped into the mailing list because of the shell issue.
(Mail archive was not available from March 26th to April 15th; are there any
problems?)

Why are tcsh/bash needed in /bin or /local/{bin|sbin}, or let's say the root
filesystem?

I don't think we don't need any shells except sh and csh; we need sh and csh
because they are the only primary shells.

Tcsh/bash or other shells are yet optional.  We have a really good system to
install such optional software so called ports/packages.  We can install
tcsh/bash or other shells in /bin or /local/bin ourselves by setting the
PREFIX or some other possible ways.  So, why do we need tcsh in the root
system?

I have realized that we have ports/packages system in order to keep base
system minimized unlike Linux and I really like that.  Why do we need to
mess it up?

And I don't think the following problem happens because people know they
installed tcsh/bash/*sh in /bin.

>  * This, then is a shortcoming of the ports system; we need at least two
>
> It is not a shortcoming of the system; it is a policy decision.  We
> don't want people upgrading their systems and losing packages
> installed in /bin because they only backed up /etc and
> /usr/{local,X11R6}.  (It's assumed that people using ports have a
> little more clue than those who only use packages, that's why I don't
> see a problem with such a thing being a port.)

This is one request of the end users.

Thank you for your attention.

Hiro