Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:44:20 -0500
From:      Brian Ristuccia <brianr@osiris.978.org>
To:        Mike Bilow <mikebw@bilow.bilow.uu.ids.net>
Cc:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOFTWARE-RAID-TIPS (was: Adaptec 7890 and RAID portIII RAID   contr

On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 12:45:00AM -0000, Mike Bilow wrote:

> Osma Ahvenlampi wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:
>
>  OA> No, this isn't really a valid argument. Modern drives don't
>  OA> "go bad" in one point, they automatically allocate spare
>  OA> blocks if they detect errors, and at the point where you can
>  OA> actually see bad sectors in software, the drive is past its
>  OA> life (and you're lucky if you can restore data off it before
>  OA> switching).
>
> No, many manufacturers disable AWRE on their drives by default.  I have no idea
> why, but one must go into the mode pages manually with a tool such as
> "scsiinfo" to flip the bits if one wants AWRE enabled.

My Fujitsu 18gb, my 2 IBM 18gb's, and my Micropolis 9gb all came with this
enabled by default. Granted, the Fujitsu and IBM's were OEM'd, and the
Micropolis was used, so they could have been tampered with between the
factory and me.

Anyone know if tagged queue is safe on the Fujitsu MAA3182S and the IBM
DGHS18U? I could test it on the Micropolis too, since it's just a squid
cache disk, but I hear Microp firmware is notorously buggy.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org