Date:         Mon, 25 Aug 97 16:13 PDT
From:      Denis DeLaRoca                       <CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@RAH.STAR-GATE.COM>
Cc:        multimedia@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   guspnp17 and vat/rat

Amancio,

I am testing guspnp17 with both rat (v3.0.23) and vat (v4.0b2) with
today's MBONE broadcast of the Stanford channel. With vat I am using
your version of the audio-voxware.cc.

Vat seems to get periodically into conditions where the audio is dis-
torted: what sounds like rumbling noise plus echoing or ghosting. Rat
in comparison yields consistently good audio with no audible distortion.

What is going on? To begin with, my loss on received packets is not
excessive, typically 1%, at times and very briefly 5%. Stanford's
transmission doesn't use redundancy so rat is running in vat-mode
so to speak. I have a suspicion that the observed conditions have
to do with how vat is scheduling audio packets via audio-voxware.cc.
Since we don't have the source to rat we can't see what they are doing
right... any guesses?

-- Denis