Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 2020 23:40:38 +0200
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd@daemonic.se>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ars Technica article on FreeBSD new user experience

On 2020-04-09 21:45, Ed Maste wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 at 15:34, Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> 2. re: default shell and niceties: complete agreement, IMO we should
>> at least have basically usable history at a minimum
>
> Complete agreement here, although in 13-CURRENT /bin/sh is
> surprisingly usable. I'm normally a zsh user, but after using /bin/sh
> on a new laptop I've found !$ is the only thing I strongly miss.
>
>> 3. re: `pkg search xorg` -- that makes sense, given "pkg search xorg
>> returns too many hits to fit on a single page of a text-mode console".
>
> Indeed, I think the article is technically incorrect, but the
> usability problem is the same; if `pkg search xorg` returns more than
> a screenfull of results and the desired one scrolled away, does it
> really matter that it's actually present?

To be honest, what's the difference from how yum or apt does it?
At least yum search returns everything that matches, including matches
in package descriptions and so on.  I haven't used apt systems in a
while, but I recall they being similar.  This sounds to me just like
someone who wants to find something to complain about.
Regards
--
Niclas