Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 03:30:23 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, dyson@FreeBSD.org, mark@grondar.za, peter@FreeBSD.org, peter@spinner.dialix.com, wpaul@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM bogon? Was: Re: NIS breakage

>> Fixing support for "?" fields is more important (you can't edit fields
>
>This is a direct result of a discussion thread in which I attempted to
>ascertain a suitable set of values for "not useful" and "find it yourself",
>the net result of which was your insistence that there was no suitable
>value for either and that neither should be allowed.

No, I said that all values may be suitable and all should be allowed.

>If you have a new tune, please start piping.  I have no problem at all
>with supporting arbitrary 'magic' values, and allowing the user
>to specify these in an unambiguous and visually obvious fashion.

Values can't be interpreted unambiguously (without fixing config(8)
and a few drivers, or knowing too much about drivers) because they
are ambiguous.  "?" is represented as -1 or 0 depending on the field.
"None" is usually represented in the same way:

	field		none		?
	-----		----		-
	port		-1		0
	irq		0		0
	drq		-1		-1
	maddr		0		0
	msiz		0		0

Until drivers export tables to say which fields they use, userconfig
should display all fields, leaving the ones with value "none" blank,
and accept input "?" to give fields with value "?" (which unfortunately
have to be displayed as blank except for the port field).

Bruce