Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:37:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
To:        Meagan Jia Pi <meagan@e-lingo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question about RAID

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Meagan Jia Pi wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I hope you can help me with another problem I have.
>
> We have a server containing large log files (50 MB per day), and these files are essential to the company.  This
> machine is running FreeBSD and has two IDE drive.  As you can see, we ought to find a more scalable and
> reliable server to store these log files.  I know RAID is probably the way to go, but
>
> Which level of array I should choose?
> And how do I scale for future growth?
>
> Many thanks in advance!

If you need simple redundancy, RAID 1 should do find. The only fault with
RAID 1 is that for each disk you want to mirror, you need a second one to
mirror the first. Read performance is pretty good, but write performance
isn't as good as RAID 0's write performance.

RAID 5 can be overkill, but if you need really fast read access and have
the money to go either SCSI, or use vinum for software RAID 5, you will
need three hard drives minimum.

// Linh Pham
// http://closedsrc.org