Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:41:44 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.com>
To:        "Brett Cates" <bcates513@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing MAC Address

On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 10:57:09 -0500
"Brett Cates" <bcates513@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Basically, I am trying to setup a firewall on my cable modem, but
>   the
> cable company has made it to where the DHCP server will only serve
> requests from a specific MAC address.  The cable company's tech
> support is kinda being jerks about setting up a firewall, because I
> guess they want more money for multiple PC's using the Internet. =P  I
> can't switch NIC's because they are different bus types (The NIC is
> PCI but my router is a 486 w/ ISA only).  Is there a way that FreeBSD
> can send the DHCP server another MAC address instead of the one on the
> card?  I have seen a few posts around that say Linux and FreeBSD can
> do it, but they don't really say how.  Any help will be most
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

I'm not sure which cable provider you are using, but I can almost
guarantee that you can call up their tech support and register a
different MAC address with them.  Don't bother telling them that you are
trying to setup a NAT/Firewall box - just make up some BS story about
how you are switching which machine will be on their network and that
you need to register a new MAC address with them.  I would be astounded
if they told you outright and absolutely that you either use their PCI
card on NONE!  I've done this very thing with what was MediaOne (now
ATTBI).