Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2012 19:56:57 -0500
From:      "Dieter BSD" <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

John writes:
> - EOL 7
> - mark 8 as legacy
> - mark 9 as the _only_ production release
> - release 10.0 in January 2017

Until a few days ago 8 was the latest, shinest release.
So you want to suddenly demote it all the way down to legacy?
I thought the goal was to have releases that can be used for a long time?

On the one hand, many users want/need releases to have a long lifetime.
On the other hand, we want to be able to start a new release when
some new major feature is mature enough. If these features come out
often enough, we end up with a lot of releases to support, and
supporting a lot of releases uses up a lot of time and effort.
Assuming that a lot more resources aren't going to magically appear,
perhaps the solution is to ramp down the level of support for
older releases.

7 - legacy (only gets fixes for security, panic/hang, data loss)
8 - supported (security, panic/hang, data loss bugs, plus others as requested)
9 - very supported (most improvements that aren't massively disruptive)
stable - not quite bleeding edge, not a "release" yet, not recommended
for production, brave users can try out new features
current - bleeding edge

The legacy level shouldn't have many fixes, so it shouldn't take
too much time and effort. It should be possible to support multiple
"legacy" releases. If fixes only get backported to "supported"
releases when users request it, the amount of time and effort may
be low enough? I don't have a good idea of how many requests would
be made. If the requests are infrequent enough, it might be possible
to support more than one "supported" release. (Better names for
"supported" and "very supported" would be welcome.)

A time based schedule can make sense if there are a lot of small
changes. It doesn't work as well with fewer large changes. If the
clock says it is time for a new major release but none of the major
new features are ready, it doesn't make sense to do a major release.
A time based schedule might make more sense for minor and point
releases?