Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:39:15 +0800
From:      "Calvin Tan" <calvin.tan@adecco-asia.com>
To:        "Bsdq" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Configuring X, am i doing something wrong?

Hi all,

First off I have

3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16mb video ram
Viewsonic monitor (E65?) capable of 30-70khz, 50-120hz

Being new to freeBSD, I have trouble configuring X.
so I followed the instructions in the book (The complete Freebsd 3rd
Ed).

I tried using xf86config and XF86Setup. Both produce similar results.
ie when I startx it will start up and then shut down. Both times I
tried ranges from 640x480 at 8bpp to 1024x768 at 24bpp. Each time with
the same result. I have checked all my sync rates and they all fall in
the accepted range.

The only time I can get the X server to run is using standard vga with
256 colours, 640x480, which is a bit disappointing, not to mention
quite useless as a quarter of the windows are cut off.

FreeBSD is able to detect the Voodoo 3 3000 as Voodoo 3 (Generic).

Can anyone tell me whether it is my video card or monitor?

thx4reading!