Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:31:50 +0100
From:      Bastian <bastian-bsd-ml@t6l.de>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: iwn fails to scan on E6330

On 24Nov14 08:27 -0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> You need to create wlan0 first before you use it.
>
> # ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwn0
> # ifconfig wlan0 up
> # ifconfig wlan0 list scan (bringing it 'up' will start scanning)

Many thanks. I skiped that one while reading the manual. But now it
works well.

May I assume, that you can create multiple wlan\d devices on one and the
sane iwn0 kernel device?

Now, I have wpa_supplicant working, in a way that it is automatically
searching for an available wifi network. This is triggered in the
/etc/rc.conf file during boot.

I may have some follow-up questions:

  Q: service netif stop, shuts everything down, but the wpa_supplicant
  process withstands from going down and starts to loop 100% cpu cyles
  :/

  Q: How can I just shutdown a single network interface? Keeping others
  up and with the adjustment of the default routing.

Many thanks in advance,

--
Bastian