Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:40:57 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: strange 3Com 3C509 probe behaviour

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 02:35 -0500, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, David Xu wrote:
> > I have an old 3C509 card does not support PnP.  if ep driver
> > does not support hint, can it still work?
>
> Yes.  The driver can determine the resources by asking the card
> directly.

To add to it:  The config / id port is at 0x0110 and is the
interface to learn which resources the card's actual function is
located at (some 0x0[23]NN port and the irq line).  That's why
one should *NEVER* put something at 0x0100-0x011f when using 3Com
NICs unless there's too much spare time left and hunting non
intuitive error conditions is considered fun. :>  I've been there
(had a 3c509 and an ISDN card Creatix S0 PnP inside the same
machine).

That's especially problematic when there are other ICU (aka ISA
PnP) cards -- since the 3cXXX doesn't claim the id port to be in
use.  In this scenario "available" resources could get assigned
to them causing conflicts and misbehaviour.  That's when I
learned how useful and outright essential some mechanism can be
to administer PnP resources by hand!  Linux' isapnp tools are
really the only solution one would have to this.  I wouldn't know
what to do in FreeBSD in this situation.  Automatic configuration
might be nice for those who don't know or don't care.  But when
things are broken (misdesigned or not conformingly implemented) I
would *LOVE* to turn off automatic mechanisms and steer by hand
(read:  by those who know better).  Sometimes it's the only way
to get things working at all.  I always consider automatics as an
option, not the one and only solution.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net