Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:14:36 +0100
From:      Alain Aubord <alain.aubord@sourire.ch>
To:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Geode driver

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
    I am wondering why the geode X11 driver is not in the ports
in FreeBSD 8. I am using the Alix 1D computer (you can find its description
at www.pcengines.ch) which is are very nice machine to build
small server and graphic terminals.

This machine is built around the AMD Geode processor with its
graphical coprocessor. Almost all distributions (OpenBSD,
all linux etc) provide the driver. Is a specific reason not to use it
under FreeBSD ?

Finally, I was able to recompile the driver (but my hackings are not good enough to
be included in the ports) and it seems to be more efficient that the VESA driver I used
until now. In front of the screen, the subjective impression is that the windows
are moving faster and the memory used is about 34Mb (for the geode driver)
instead of 45Mb (for the VESA).

I could perhaps with some help make a port of this driver if you are interested.

Yours sincerly,

--
Alain Aubord
Sourire Informatique