Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:14:44 -0500
From:      Louis Theran <k@yt.to>
To:        chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: major push by spammers?

On Tue, Nov 25, 1997 at 06:54:56PM -0800, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> we have rejected 20 spam attempts in the last 16 hours.
> this is a record....could we have a major push underway?
>
> or is it just coincidence?

I would hardly be surprised about this.  Any server that runs open lists
will eventually be found by the spammers.  At least you don't have problems
(I don't think, at least) with freebsd.org being hard wired into
mailbombing/spamware packages specially designed to hijack listserv/listproc
sites.  I set up qmail on a busy listproc site, and I found that I had to
filter all submissions to the listproc server through a script to catch all
the junk generated by things like Avalanche and Up Yours.  I don't recall
seeing any programs on the mailbomber's domain website that targeted
majordomo, but I didn't look that hard at any of them.

^Louis

--
Louis Theran a.k.a. User K -- Carjacker on the Information Superhighway
"Off the record.  On the QT.  And very Hush-Hush."