Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:36:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        DoubleF <doublef@tele-kom.ru>
Cc:        Paul Lathrop <plathrop@mqtweb.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your mail

DoubleF wrote to Paul Lathrop:

> Hi,
>
> > Thanks for your response. Now my question is - how does one
> > automate tasks requiring root privileges?
>
> When one does not know Perl, one uses C programs, I suppose. They
> are real binaries, and can be suid. It works.

> Just mind your security...

:-) I'll second that. I'm just shuddering at the thought a production
server somewhere with a whole platoon of 10- or 20-line quickly hacked
and poorly maintained C programs, all suid root. Not saying that shell
scripts can't be quickly hacked or poorly maintained either, but at
least their correctness is typically a little easier to verify, and
you don't normally have to worry about unfortunate things like buffer
overflows.

I'd also like to remind the original poster about the security risks
associated with suid binaries. There are many subtle ways in which
suid binaries can bite one in the ass... especially where other local
users are present.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon