Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 09:01:14 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
To:        Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Time calibration ?

cc: field trimmed

> That's my question - what does accurate time matter for in a typical network, and
> how accurate is good enough?
>
> I ask because I'm involved in setting up a web/mail/ftp server, and was wondering
> whether to use NTP. I notice quite a few Internet hosts do not maintain accurate
> time, and are evidently just running on their internal clocks, being perhaps a few
> minutes in error.

Anytime you have file sharing, as is typical for a network, you at least want
the peers to be in sync with each other. If you try compiling code across NFS
mounts it is imperative to have the peers in sync. I see no reason not to have
the peers in sync with the correct time.

What I do is have one FreeBSD machine use xntp to sync with a stratum 2 ntp
server and then all other machines sync with this machine on the LAN. I then
have all the Unix, Windows, and Mac machines in sync, using whatever method is
required for the respective platforms, to get the time from my "time" machine.

--
Glenn Johnson
gljohns@bellsouth.net