Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:45:03 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Chung Lau <clau@cs.cmu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: couple of questions about STABLE snapshots

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 01:30:29PM -0400, Chung Lau wrote:
> 1.  is snapshots.jp.freebsd.org the only server that u can download
> 4.8-STABLE snapshots off of?  ftp.freebsd.org's 4.8-STABLE link doesn't
> link to a directory at all, and the snapshots/i386 directory is empty.
> This is extremely confusing.
>=20
> 2.  If i sync my CVSup release tag to RELENG_4_8 it'll sync with
> 4.8-STABLE right?

There is no such thing as 4.8-STABLE. There is a security fixes only branch
called 'RELENG_4_8'. The branch commonly referred to as -STABLE or 4-STABLE
is known in CVS and CVSup as 'RELENG_4'. If you can handle the (very)
occasional hiccup, and want more features earlier then a release can provide
you, you should follow RELENG_4. If you want an absolutely reliable system,
you should use RELENG_4_8.

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20