Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 23:06:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to create bootfloppies with custom kernel?

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, BSD Mailinglisten-User wrote:

> I run a ISP with several HP Netserver LC. These machines have onboard
> SCSI-controllers and a EISA/PCI bus. The controller is situated an
> EISA slot 11. The last boot-floppy to recognize the controller was
> 2.1.0R, all newer ones don't find it. I know how to patch the kernel
> to repair this; however, since I want to update all machines to 2.1.6.1,
> I need boot-floppies with 2.1.6.1 that find the controller.

A search through the mail archives for 'hp AND netserver' found many
messages.  It may be worth your while to do the same.

What it comes down to is to try disabling the uha device (and other
unnecessary devices) in UserConfig (boot: -c).  Also, FreeBSD supports up
to 11 EISA slots, your Netserver may have more which could mess up the
EISA code.

> How can I put a custom kernel on a boot-floppy?

You need a working system to do this, and it's not very fun, and if
GENERIC can't find it then it's not likely that nothing else will either
since EISA devices are auto-probed.