Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 17:38:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, isdn-dev@hcs.de
Subject:   Re: Ascend NetWarp 128 ISDN TA

Gary,

Thanks for the reply.

> >Is anyone working on a driver for the Ascend NetWarp 128 ISDN Terminal
> >Adapter?
>
> Which chipset does the card use ? There might be a driver for a card with
> the same chipset that you could start with. There are drivers for a
> number of passive cards which use the Siemens chips (ISAC and HSCX).

Here's what I know:

1) It is a passive TA based on the Network Interface model rather than the
Comm Interface model.  This makes it an excellent choice to avoid the
latency hit involved in Sync<->Async translation as well as the UART speed
ceiling.

2) The card is PnP and based on the Siemens 2086/2091/82525 chipset.  In
fact, these are about the only chips on the card at all.

3) It claims to support National ISDN NI-1, AT&T 5ESS, NORTEL DMS-100,
EDSI and INS-64 signaling protocols.

> You might also check out whether Linux already supports the card.

It currently doesn't, but I've checked out isdn4linux and the HiSax
drivers and things look promising...  So far as I can tell, from bisdn and
HiSax, the isdn (B channel) driver should be ok as-is, but disdn (D
channel) driver will need additions to support the US signaling protocols.
Does that sound reasonable?

As far as the actual card support goes, I'm not sure which european cards
are closest to it.  I've read the Niccy is ISAC/HCSX based, as well as the
Teles.  Is this the case?

> If you get a driver working send a mail to isdn-dev@hcs.de. This is
> a group which is working on an ISDN package which will, hopefully,
> find its way into FreeBSD in the near future. For that matter, we
> might be able to help you out with the driver (answering questions,
> etc.).

Absolutely.  Thanks much!  I've been in contact with Ascend and am waiting
for more information from the Systems Engineers.  I'll let you know what
progress I make.

Cheers!

  - Bruce

|| Bruce M. Walter                    || 107 Timber Hollow Court #335 ||
|| Senior Network Consultant          || Chapel Hill, NC  27514       ||
|| Fortean Technologies, Inc.         || Tel: 919-967-4766            ||
|| Information Technology Consultants || Fax: 919-967-4395            ||
||       BSD Unix -- It's not just a job, it's a way of life!         ||