Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 12:50:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 release, can it be postponed?

> > User PPP works right... just "differently" than before. A specific
> > reference to the different behaviour should be noted on the CD of course,
> > but I think userland PPP is quite stable and working better than ever.
>
> Yes it works, but there are a few features it would be nice to have
> before it's unleashed on the world.  Like a way to explicitly bring up
> the link when running in auto mode.

% ping remotehost

works really well.

> It often takes me two or three tries to connect to my ISP, by which
> time a program that's attempting to open a socket has usually timed
> out.

Try the ping trick.  It works.  Also, PPP's auto mode is as good as any
other on-demand product I've ever used.  The time-out problem is a
function of TCP/IP, not of PPP since it can't do anything with packets
when the link is down, and it's doing everything it can to get the
connection up, so if the first couple of attempts fail, the TCP/IP
protocol will give up.

Nate