Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2012 09:42:48 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: Timekeeping in stable/9

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 02:11:51PM +0100, Martin Sugioarto wrote:
> > Am Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:20:51 +0100
> > schrieb "Ronald Klop" <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>:
>  > > BTW: My experience with VBox is that it is nice for hobby stuff, but
> > > not for heavy load server stuff. VMWare does a better job there.
>
> Agreed.
>
> The number of problems with VirtualBox continues to grow (you should see
> my Mail/sent folder sometime).  I don't know or why anyone on earth
> would use VirtualBox with problems like what's described in this thread,
> combined with problems like what's described below (which TMK still
> hasn't been addressed):
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-February/061642.html
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-July/063172.html
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-July/063221.html
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-July/063322.html
>
> I would recommend you stick with bare metal, or use something that's at
> least well-established like VMware products (Workstation, for example,
> is actually affordable, and ESXi is free -- though there have been
> problems posted to the list about FreeBSD on ESXi as well).  Xen gets
> praise here on the lists, but I haven't tried it myself.  I stick with
> bare metal for everything, sans "tinkering around".

Hmm. The OP has XP as a guest on FreeBSD9. I am unaware that VMware has any
software for this purpose. Specifically, the only virtualization system
that I am aware can run on FreeBSD as the host is VirtualBox.  I won't ague
about its many issues and limitations, but for any use of FreeBSD as a host
system, it's the only game in town.

I suspect that most VB users on FreeBSD use it to get access to a small
number of took on Windows...the ones in Office. It's still better than
either LibreOffice or OpenOffice.org for either documents or presentations,
especially presentations that will be displayed on a Windows system (as
most are).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com