Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 1995 17:19:30 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        martin@victor.innovus.com, serg@bcs1.bcs.zaporizhzhe.ua, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netboot patch

> The standard boot loader probably doesn't need this because it doesn't
> support an 'N' question.  It seems unlikely that there are any BIOSes
> sensitive to the segment limits.  It's more likely that there are
> BIOSes sensitive to gateA20, and we don't bother switching gateA20
> back and forth.

Gate A20 is definitely a problem on some keyboard controller based reset
sequences.  I think it is the major missing piece of the puzzle there,
in fact.

As far as BIOS sensistivity, there are many ISA cards that do not
implement full I/O space decoding, meaning that it looks as if the
I/O space is repeating.

This seems to result in more conflicts than all other causes put together,
especially when the offender is a cheap serial board or a Diamond video
card.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---