Date:      Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:49:22 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@core.com>
Cc:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT trolling ;-)

"Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@core.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Juha Saarinen wrote:
>
> > There is a fine irony in that all the copies of Goner I've
> > received so far have come from FreeBSD-STABLE subscribers.
>
> Yes, it's very odd. However, it really shouldn't bother us as we're most
> likely using "smart" mailers which won't execute that kind of crap
> automatically like Outlook and it's ilk do.

     While I've gotten many copies of Goner, the vast majority of them
have come from one (1) FreeBSD-stable subscriber, using two different
names (with the same email address).

     As much as I dislike Outlook, I think we need to get our facts
straight: within Outlook, the virus does not spread via some automatic
execution krud, but instead relies upon user stupidity to click and
execute an exe file.  Unlike other viruses, simply getting a Goner email
does not cause one to get the virus (yet?).

[ OK, this is really off-topic, and this is all I'll say on this.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com